Commitment to Protect Houses of Worship
Orange County Interfaith Network ~ Council of Religious Leaders
Statement of Principle
- Houses of worship are sacred spaces.
- They should not be desecrated by acts of aggression, violence or terror.
- Houses of worship should be safe places for people to pray and study.
- Weapons, munitions and the tools of war should not be brought into or stored in any house of worship.
- Houses of worship should not be used to house hostages, captives or prisoners.
- These combative and aggressive activities violate the sanctity of houses of worship and place the people within them at unnecessary risk.
- We call upon all people of good will to commit themselves to the inviolability, safety and security of all places of worship in the world.
- We pray that our cooperation and mutual respect will lead to a more peaceful society in the United States and abroad
Prayer for Safety
We offer condolences to the family and friends of all worshippers killed in their houses of worship and pray for the speedy recovery of those injured in vicious attacks while they prayed and studied. We call upon all people of good will to commit themselves to the inviolability, safety and security of all places of worship throughout the world. May our mutual respect and cooperation lead to a more peaceful society.