Our Outreach and Tithing Programs
Ongoing in 2017
The Orange County Cold Weather Armory Emergency Shelter Program ~ Winter 2017
Each year, from December through March, Common Ground is pleased to serve the clients that participate in the Orange County Armory Emergency Shelter Program.
The Orange County Cold Weather Armory Emergency Shelter program provides up to 400 beds per night for the homeless at the National Guard Armories in Fullerton and Santa Ana. The homeless receive a nutritious meal, a warm shower, and a safe place to sleep. Our team helps pass out donations of warm clothing and suppport Service Providers from Orange County are on site to provide needed services.
Operation Gratitude Outreach Project
Common Ground is pleased to host an ongoing Operation Gratitude Outreach Project
by coming together to write meaningful letters of appreciation to American Deployed Troops, Veterans, New Recruits and First Responders.
The letters are included in Care Packages to tell our heros "WE CARE".
Recent Outreach Projects Completed
Advent Outreach Project ~ November/December 2016
Common Ground sponsored an Advent Outreach Project in support of the work of Orange County Rescue Mission in Tustin.
Each Sunday during Advent the community donated canned/boxed food, travel-sized hygiene items and warm winter clothing.
Items were dropped off at the warehouse located at Village of Hope in time for Christmas.
Serving Dinner to Homeless Families with Children ~ October 2016
Walking Shield Back-to-School Outreach Project ~ August & September 2016
Sole Hope ~ June 2016
Common Ground was pleased to support the important efforts of Sole Hope, serving to effectively put in place preventive methods to combat diseases that enter through the feet and creating a positive physical and psychological difference in the lives of individuals in impoverished Ugandan communities. Sole Hope offers healthier lives and freedom from foot-related diseases through education, jobs, and medical relief.
An enthusiastic team of Common Grounders gathered to participate in a hands-on project cutting shoe pattern pieces from recycled denim fabric. All in all, patterns for 80 shoes/40 pairs were accomplished. Those shoes will fit the feet of 40 Size 1 children's feet in Uganda. They will be able to go to school and participate in life without foot pain and disease.
AIDS Walk Orange County ~ May 2016
Common Ground was pleased to sponsor a team for AIDS Walk Orange County 2016 supporting AIDS Services Foundation Orange County's mission is to prevent the spread of HIV and improve the lives of men, women, and children affected by HIV/AIDS in Orange County. The event featured a 5 km walk and Red Ribbon 5 km Fun Run through the William R. Mason Regional Park in Irvine, CA.
Cold Weather Outreach Project for the Homeless of Orange County ~ January 2016
December 2015 Diaper Drive
Common Ground was pleased to support the work of MOMS Orange County helping families have healthy babies. During the month of December babies diapers of all sizes were colleced for low-income and disadvantaged families in Orange County.
Founded in 1992, the mission of MOMS Orange County is to help mothers and their families have healthy babies by providing health coordination, education, and access to community services. MOMS Orange County provides access to prenatal care, health screenings, infant development screenings, health education and referral services through monthly home visits and group classes. MOMS Orange County serves more than 3,700 low-income families annually and has demonstrated through rigorous outside evaluation that its program is not only sound, but is bringing children in a highly disadvantaged population to health and developmental levels that exceed those set by the general population.
Walking Shield American Indian Society Backpack Program ~ November 2105
Orange County Stand Down Veteran Resources Expo 2015 ~ October
Project Home ~ October 2015
Common Ground is very pleased to partner with Mercy House in a promising pilot program designed to house 117 of the most vulnerable homeless individuals in Orange County.
Mercy House was chosen as 1 of 8 agencies in the country to receive funding for this program.
Mercy House provides housing and comprehensive supportive services for a variety of homeless populations which includes families, adult men and women, mothers and their children, persons living with HIV/AIDS, individuals overcoming substance addictions, and some who are physically and mentally disabled.
The purpose of Project Home and it's companion program, Bonus Project, is to connect volunteers and donors with client wish lists as they move into permanent housing to provide essential household and furniture items to furnish and provide dignified homes.
This pilot project provided Common Ground with an opportunity to expand its Outreach efforts in a very meaningful way.
Who We Serve with Our Tithes
We reach out to the local and global community to help make a difference in the world. We support the following qualified 501(c)(3) charitable organizations and programs:
- IONS, advancing the science of consciousness and human experience to serve individual and collective transformation
- Kiva, empowering people to lift themselves out of poverty
- Project HOPE School, helping children without permanent homes to transition into the mainstream education system
- Walking Shield, helping to improve the quality of life for American Indian families
- The Avielle Foundation, preventing violence through research and community education
- Mercy House Fare Share Program, providing bus passes for homeless men, women and children in search of a better life
- Willows in the Wind, supporting families with teens and young adults in crisis
- AIDS Walk Orange County, preventing the spread of HIV and improving the lives of men, women, and children affected by HIV/AIDS in Orange County
- Church of the Foothills, an open and affirming progressive Christian congregation.
- Sole Hope, serving individuals in impoverished communities in Uganda by putting in place preventive methods to combat diseases that enter through the feet
- Family Promise of Orange County, helping homeless families achieve housing stability by providing short term shelter, meals, case management, and hospitality
- Orange County Rescue Mission of Tustin, providing assistance in the areas of guidance, counseling, education, job training, shelter, food, clothing, health care and independent living communities
- The International Rescue Committee, helping people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and regain control of their future